Forgiveness

Forgiving yourself is life's greatest challenge.

Name:
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida, United States

Adopted, only child...need I say more? That has a whole set of sterotypes right there!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Extreme Emotional Sensitivity

I have finally truly figured out where I get my ideas that people expect so much out of me...even if they really don't. I read an article and the lightbulb went off.

The article is entitled "Gifted Children and Sensitivity" (I was considered a gifted child.)

Your gifted child may very well be both emotionally sensitive and intellectually sensitive; that is, acutely aware of everything in his environment and within himself.

Intellectual sensitivity refers to an openness to ideas, which allows your child to be receptive to his own imaginative creativity and that of others. Emotional and social sensitivity -- an acute awareness of other people and the environment -- allows a child to sense the emotional temperature in a room, heightened tension, for example.

Heightened emotional and social sensitivity affects your child's perception of expectations from peers, parents, and other adults, and may be accompanied by heightened vulnerability to criticism, suggestions, and emotional appeals from others. One problem is that well-meaning parents, relatives, friends, siblings, and teachers are often eager to add their own expectations to the bright child's own dreams, plans, and goals. Sometimes, the greater the child's talent, the greater the expectations and outside interference.

Keep in mind that although your child may be emotionally sensitive, it does not make him emotionally mature. His reactions and behavior to people and events may be age appropriate but seem immature when compared to his sophisticated intellectual and emotional awareness. When we understand just how much gifted children absorb from every environment, we can support them in times of stress.

I not only am abnormally sensitive to other's emotions but I take things so hard on a level that most people cannot understand. I have been asked repeatedly why I take things so hard and why I dwell on things that other's say...even if know them to not be true. I truly have an inability or deficiency to process criticism. I also react poorly to emotional appeals and fall prey to giving into things because I can't stand hurting someone else. I get pain two-fold because I already feel bad about hurting them, but then I literally get their hurt back too.

I would still gather that even though I am very emotionally sensitive, I still am very emotionally immature in a lot of respects. I used my eating disorder as an outlet for not having to deal with my emotions...or feeling other's emotions for that matter.

I'm going to end this post with a quote about us sensitive types:

"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.
To him...
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.

Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create - - - so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating."

-Pearl Buck-

8 Comments:

Blogger Doughnut said...

This trait of being emotionally sensitive to criticism and giving into it can lead to some pretty devistating, if not outright, abusive relationships. I would not be surprised if you have not been emotional and/or physically abused by men in particular...but from your history, it also sounds like a few women got their "licks" in to.

Just my observation is that being aware of how this syndrome works can help in not allowing yourself to get caught up in it. Being more assertive with yourself and others; standing your ground; truly being you...are all growth objectives and processes too.

I believe you are growing and have grown a lot in the past year. I am sure there is more to follow and I hope you keep us appraised of the journey. Anything I can do to help, let me know :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger C. Marie Byars said...

You know, I have this great sensitivity, yet the unwillingness to give into others. Often, I experience all the emotional undercurrents in a room but am unsure what I want to do about them, not even wanting to let on I experience them. Unfortunately, a tendency I've developed to just pretend I don't notice has only compounded things at times, although I only seem to do this in select arenas of life.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You posted this over two years ago. However I do not care.

I want to comment on the fact that feeling pain 'two-fold' sometimes leads to a case of perceived apathy. That is, hurting and feeling hurt given will produce a cancellation, leaving us literally _trapped_ in an empathetic paradox. This is how I cannot help feeling every second of the day. It is impossible to block out not only how my flatmates and family may feel negatively about me and my lack of success in life, but also how I am periodically updated on their personal problems in overhearing various conversations. So I feel my effect on them _and_ their general unhappiness.

Yet there is another facet! Being a "gifted" individual, I was "gifted" with more talents than I know what to do with, and I am using none of them to benefit society at large. I just feel even more worthless that I have not lived up to expectations based upon me interpersonally or globally.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has helped me, Thank you!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya my name is Jonathon and im doing a study on being over emotional in certain situations, and trying to find out why i do the things i do.
I have a few basic ideas which will be studyied over the next few weeks.
I will be covering a few areas.

Over emotion causing burn out and fatigue.

Traumatising Emotions when they dont need to be there.

Using logic/Asseritveness with a list of beliefs that no matter what your heart feels, you must meet the expectations. [Very pushy] [Pressure] in
the specific roles.

Father/Mother
Wife/Husband
Son/Daughter
Sister/Brother
Employee/Employer
Friend
Lover
Etc~

Needs/Wants/Acceptance/Thankfull/
Grateful/Joy/Excitement/Careing/
Gentle and all associated, according to what is seen, is not always relative to how emotional you are.
But in this society we live, we are expected at times to be overly emotional. when we dont need to be.
these beliefs are no good for us.

Examples:
When spending time with friends if your not overly happy and excited to hear what they have to say ur not a good friend.

If when you havent seen your love in 1 day, and youre not crying in tears of sadness for being apart, your not in love.
How much you want/need something is not always relative to how emotional you are. And the special beleif of course which is entangled in all the above. and is written below.

Your needs/wants will not be meet and the wants and needs of others will not be meet [Real or imagined or logic beleifs] if your not in a place of over emotionalness.

And the most dangerous 1 of all that destroys lives.

Hating yourself because of not being able to meet upto the wants and needs of yourself, wants and needs of others or not receiving your your wants and needs from others. [ Real or imagined]

Which would explain why being overly sensitive to critcisim and judgements, when we really want to show love to people, and when we dont want to spend time with people cuz our emotions is sore, we dont need to, but sadly people who also beleives the above beleifs but not all of them because ur not being emotional there not special to you.

When all these are done to yourself, it becomes an expectancy on others also, so it works in the exact opposite but towards you, which makes you think people dont love you etc~ if there not emotional either.


AND THE GREATEST HURTS OF ALL.
ISOLATION. But why u ask?
Abandoning of Roles because u cant meet up to yours or others idea of them. [Real or imagined]. and guess what? thats okay...because its to much in the role logically/emotionaly.

this is day 3 of my study.
My email is Hulk_smash_stomp@msn.com
If you wish me to elaborate more on this which i can, with many many many more messages, send me an email anytime.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 minutes later lol i got some more.

OVER RESPONSIBLITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY TO OTHERS BELEIFS AND EMOTIONS/NEEDS.


which can lead to anorexia,Bulimia also. and Over emotionalness,
Sensitive to cricisim. i can also elaborate more on this also.
Hulk_smash_stomp@msn.com email me any time.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Never thought that this really exists. Your post helped me out a lot, it might be easier to admit and accept ourselves with this gifted thing. we are just different. thanks alot.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some things you said in this is exactly how i feel.. i've though about being emotionally sensitive for a while but never bothered to really read about it or do anything about it. I guess i just figured that it'd go away, which it didn't, of course. I will think about something someone said even though i know it isn't true for days and it will totally effect my mood for days. It makes me want to not be social at all.. I also wouldn't say anything, and if i did i would feel bad for saying it no matter what they said. I haven't bothered to tell anyone about it.. which caused my family to think i was depressed and when they asked what was wrong i would ignore them, which just caused more problems.

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home