Forgiveness

Forgiving yourself is life's greatest challenge.

Name:
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida, United States

Adopted, only child...need I say more? That has a whole set of sterotypes right there!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Drugs and Such

Well, I finally found an anti-depressant that doesn't give me any side effects...Wellbutrin. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. I don't even know I'm taking anything. I've actually talked to several people that have had good results on this particular drug. I've read it takes people anywhere from 2 weeks - 6 weeks to notice a difference in their mood. Guess we will see.

I was having a conversation with a friend about ADD. His wife was convinced he was ADD. She had done all sorts of research on adult ADD and was sure he needed to go on Ritalin so she and "others" could tolerate his energy more. In that scenario, a drug fix was absolutely ill-advised. This person had a very high quality of life, had a good job, several friends and energy to spare. He was not hurting himself as a result of this alleged ADD. The drug would have worked to fundamentally change who he was for someone else.

While I am still not a fan of taking an anti-depressant, here was my rationale. I have caused my body and mind irrepairable harm. I hurt myself physically as a result of my depression and perfectinism. I have lost interest in many parts of my life. I am distracted and performing way below my abilities at work. I still need counseling. I still need to force myself to socialize. I still need to find ways of promoting a healthier mind-body connection. However, I have severe mental roadblocks that hopefully Wellbutrin can help me cross so I can begin to want to take care of myself. Right now, that's not a natural tendency.

I learned the other week that upon further review of my echocardiogram, the doctor was not happy with the way one of my heart valves was operating. I was literally purging my way to heart failure. Even though the doctor assured me that, at this point, it was not serious or beyond repair, it was still absolutely devestating to hear. I am 26 years old!!! I shouldn't have any issues with my heart. At this point, the doctors are hoping that given enough time and not placing additional stress on my heart with throwing up, that it will repair itself. I am hoping too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doughnut said...

Wow! I hope they are monitoring this heart condition and that whatever is wrong can either correct itself or be controlled with drugs. Surgery, hopefully, would be a last option.

BTW: Wellbutrin should help in other areas that may have dropped off as well - if you get my drift!

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home