Forgiveness

Forgiving yourself is life's greatest challenge.

Name:
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida, United States

Adopted, only child...need I say more? That has a whole set of sterotypes right there!

Monday, July 24, 2006

The Need ToBe Heard

It occurred to me that the need to be heard is probably one of the most fundamental needs a human can have. We need acknowledgement. We need someone to look at us. We need to know that others know we exist. We need to know that not only do others know we exist but that our existence means something.

I used to judge my husband’s mother a lot. She left my husband’s dad for several months and then decided to file for divorce. She left three children, however, getting custody after the divorce. I used to sit there and think, “How could a mother do that to her children? Was her life so bad? She’s so selfish!” One night though, I let her talk about that situation and I tried to listen with an open mind. I had heard plenty from my husband’s dad. I heard how he tried to get her to stay and think about the children, etc… He always found a way to not take responsibility for the situation and make it all about her. However, that night I listened to her. What she had to stay didn’t register with me until just recently as I’ve been acknowledging my own thought deficiencies.

Her problem boiled down to the fact that she felt she was no longer heard. And in fact, knowing my husband’s father, I would wager she was not. The one person she wanted most to support her as a person, support her goals, support her dreams, etc… was not listening. She had grown and changed as a person and wanted different things out of life than before. She no longer felt safe to become the person she felt was brewing inside. She felt stuck. She felt UNHEARD and therefore, unimportant and invalidated. That feeling can drive people to do really crazy things. She didn’t know what else to do so she left. She left to be heard. She left so she didn’t do the one thing that she had rolled around and that was ending her own life.

I look at my own situation right now and what I have been doing to myself and it really boils down to the same thing. I am not being heard. I feel like I am screaming and screaming. And everyone is just acting like nothing is wrong. I finally feel like I understand where my husband’s mom was coming from. Invalidation makes me feel like a caged animal. It must have made her the same way. Desperate. Asking “What do I have to do to get someone’s attention?” Her answer may have not been the best one, but when you are that desperate to feel “normal,” anything seems better than where the mind is at in the moment.

The need to be heard. The need to feel validated. The need to feel like you are free to be yourself. Yes, those needs are so important. Most importantly to feel all those things from the person who is supposed to love you more than anything. And the feeling of total rejection and emptiness one feels when that person doesn’t even acknowledge that there is so hurtful.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Your words are so true! I totally accept with them. The need to be heard is very important. After all, I am fighting for the same thing :)

Your words gave me some meaning that I was searching for. Shud thank you!

Deepak

8:14 AM  
Blogger Self Therapy said...

I'm glad it helped you a little bit.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Cindy Foote said...

I don't know you... you don't know me... but this week an amazing revelation came to me that set me free from some serious "stuff". I blogged about it a couple of days ago and have since shared my story with some others face to face. It is making a difference in their lives... Anyway - did a search on google for "need to be heard" and your post came up... and I believe it is no coincidence -so I want to share with you my post.... go to: www.followthefeet.blogspot.com and find the recent post titled "2 years ago... and the story keeps getting better" - and btw - I have one adopted daughter and am working on a second adoption.

Cindy Foote

8:26 PM  
Blogger ronda said...

I don't know if this is the right site but I have a few things to say.We are hard working people who by choice raise grandkids and a great grandchild, the parents of these kids are also in the picture so we don't use them to live off the goverment,we take care of our own, but the goverment needs to start taking control of these so called parents who are raping the goverment by having all these kids they can't afford to take care of, this person that is using the system by having 6 babies at a time and has 6 more at home she knows what she is doing, shes been working the system for years for her own personal bennefit,MONEY,why is the goverment letting her get away with this, stop her, she goes online to get a myspace to get money for kids she chose to have and now wants everyone to pay for, bull----, let her pay for her own kids like most upstanding people do.this person has nurses on call to help, I had to take care of my own when I chose to have my babies,plus shes buying a new home to put her babies in whos paying for that I wounder, her children unfornantly have some kind of health problems from being premeies,they receive disability and who knows with the same amount of babies being born again more than likely more health problems will occure in these babies too,that means more disability, thats a lot of money plus food stamps and medicaid and also she might go back to school for who knows maybe $1,000,00 for living exspences used to help support "the babies" what a set up she has made for herself, the more babies the more money and she does it up big not just one baby at a time but 6 babies,I've seen mothers having babies to stay on welfare until they stopped that by making them get real jobs after so long of being on welfare but this one gets disability plus welfare she worked the goverment good, she put some thought into that. this person needs to be cut off and stopped and if she can't afford to take care of her kids right take them away like they do eveyone else who can't seem to get the hang of childcare after deciding to have them, no special treatment for this woman, shes not special just stupid.Thanks for listening.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You. Your have said what I feel. My husband will speak over me and be loud so he cant hear what I say.
It hurts terribly not to be validated and heard.
It makes you feel like you don't exist.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home